Re: SSD "trim" support

On Wed, 29 Feb 2012 15:02:46 +1100
Simon Burge <simonb%NetBSD.org@localhost> wrote:
> I did need to adjust the TRIMDEBUG printfs to use "PRId64" instead of
> "lld" to get it to compile on my amd64.

Thanks, I've done so in the version just committed.

> One comment - the use of the name "TRIM" in the UFS layer could be a
> bit more generic.  This same VOP could be used for example to handle
> freeing up blocks with a flash device backing a UFS filesystem.  Maybe
> use something like DIOCFREEBLOCKS instead of DIOCTRIM?

I've replaced the term 'trim" with "discard" in interfaces and
ufs code. This seems to be a common name for this. "freeblocks"
is a bit misleading IMHO because it is just a hint to the driver,
which is free to ignore it or to do something else, eg overwrite
it to avoid traces.

best regards
Matthias

Forschungszentrum Juelich GmbH