Re: Path to kernel modules (second attempt)

On Jul 7, 2012, at 4:17 PM, Matthew Mondor wrote:

> On Sat, 07 Jul 2012 22:46:50 +0200
> Jean-Yves Migeon <jeanyves.migeon%free.fr@localhost> wrote:
>
>> On 07.07.2012 21:57, Mindaugas Rasiukevicius wrote:
>>> Hello,
>>>
>>> Regarding the PR/38724, I propose to change the path to "/kernel/".
>>> Can we reach some consensus quickly for netbsd-6?
>>
>> /kernel is way to close to /kern, and they serve different purposes.
>> IMHO that will raise confusion.
>
> Perhaps /kmod, or /modules like dholland suggests?
>
>> Technically modules are not libraries, but maybe /libdata/module is a
>> good option? We already have firmwares in /libdata/firmware, and those
>> get used by the kernel.
>
> That also makes sense

But it kinda fails with multiple kernels.  On FreeBSD, we went with
/boot/$KERNNAME/kernel for the kernel, with all the modules associated with it
in /boot/$KERNNAME. By default, we load /boot/kernel/kernel and the loader may
also choose to load other things.  The reason we put it in /boot was because we
have a secondary boot loader (/boot/loader) and on some platforms we were
looking at you needed a separate boot partition to do things correctly.  this
layout allows for that as well as transparently supporting multiple kernels.  I
know on one of my MIPS boards, I can read kernels or the boot loader off of FAT
partitions, so my /boot there is a FAT file system, with the rest of the system
in a UFS file system on separate partitions/slices on my CF.

Just something to think about before you go stuffing it into /lbidata/module or
something...

Warner