Re: Problem with "chown"

On 28 Jun 2012 at 9:15, Hisashi T Fujinaka wrote:

> On Thu, 28 Jun 2012, Matthew Mondor wrote:
>
> > On Wed, 27 Jun 2012 23:20:36 -0000
> > "David Lord" <netbsd%lordynet.org@localhost> wrote:
> >
> >> I tried NetBSD-6-BETA2 but had too many problems.
> >> Attempted reinstalls of NetBSD-5 have all obviously
> >> failed.
> >
> > Indeed, downgrading is usually more problematic, postinstall not being
> > of much use in this case
>
> Yeah, this is why I have a separate partition for /home for user data. I
> copy off the etc files and start over, newfs-ing system partitions.

I've no backup of /etc on this system so although it's
now booting NetBSD-6_BETA2 and I can see that not much
data has gone missing most of the contents of /etc were
somehow deleted.

As I mentioned NetBSD-6 was giving problems, one of
which is I can't use tne either of the distribution
cd's. I've manage to get back to being able to boot
NetBSD-6 by fist booting from a NetBSD-5 cd and
copying from an incomplete archive of /etc then
swapping to a netbsd-kernel.

My backup mirror and another system have both had
hdd failures.

cheers

David