Re: Adding a new file system

On Sat, Jun 09, 2012 at 05:29:02PM +0900, Izumi Tsutsui wrote:
> agc@ wrote:
>
> > I recently started writing a file system for some specific use-cases,
> > and had to make a number of changes. There was a request that I write
> > up the steps that needed to be taken, and so this tries to outline
> > them.
>  :
> > 1. the file system code itself - src/sys/fs/NEWfs/*
>  :
> > 7. add and populate src/sbin/newfs_NEWfs
>
> and makefs(8) for distribution?

Yes, you're absolutely right.  I had been about to reply that my new
file system was special, was not general purpose, but specifically
crafted for simplicity, speed and efficiency; however, being able to
take a directory structure and be able to just construct an image on
it would be very useful.  Thanks for the insight.

> It's efficient to design kernel and newfs sources
> to share them with makefs too.
>
> v7fs is a good example.
> (and it's so annoying to write makefs -t msdos
>  with current implementations..)

Heh.  I contrasted the source code in v7fs and sysvbfs and came to the
conclusion that v7fs was larger - it is spread over many files,
though, and maybe the endian translation takes up some more space too.

Thanks once again,
Alistair