Re: merge coming soon: jmcneill-usbmp

On Sunday 03 June 2012 03:20:01 Michael wrote:
> Hello,
>
> On Sun, 03 Jun 2012 06:37:14 +1000
>
> matthew green <mrg%eterna.com.au@localhost> wrote:
> > i think the usbmp branch is ready to merge into -current.  i've
> > built a couple of i386/amd64 GENERIC kernels for people to test
> > in the next week or so.  i've also tested on sparc64 and powerpc
> > but if anyone else would like a kernel please let me know (or
> > checkout the jmcneill-usbmp branch, src/sys only.)  macppc would
> > be a good test contender :)
>
> For the records, I'm running usbmp kernels on sparc64, macppc and evbmips64
> ;)

Hi,

        - usbd_bus_methods{} gains a get_lock() to enable the
          host controller to provide a lock for the USB code.
          if the lock isn't provided, old-style protection is
          (partially) applied.

It is better if the USB driver can select the lock, like in FreeBSD. Else you
run into some atomic races when two SMP'enabled stacks are talking to
eachother, like a SMP-CAM layer and a SMP-USB stack.

Has the FreeBSD's USB stack been evaluated when doing this NetBSD smp-ng, or
is this just a simple effort to try to get things a bit better than is now?

--HPS