Re: mlockall() and small memory systems

On Wed, May 23, 2012 at 07:15:41PM +0100, David Laight wrote:
> What are the default ulimit values?

Good point. Page size is 4k, with 32MB the limits are

# ulimit -a
time          (-t seconds    ) unlimited
file          (-f blocks     ) unlimited
data          (-d kbytes     ) 65536
stack         (-s kbytes     ) 8192
coredump      (-c blocks     ) unlimited
memory        (-m kbytes     ) 10664
locked memory (-l kbytes     ) 3554
process       (-p processes  ) 160
nofiles       (-n descriptors) 128
vmemory       (-v kbytes     ) unlimited
sbsize        (-b bytes      ) unlimited

With 64 MB ram they are:

time          (-t seconds    ) unlimited
file          (-f blocks     ) unlimited
data          (-d kbytes     ) 65536
stack         (-s kbytes     ) 8192
coredump      (-c blocks     ) unlimited
memory        (-m kbytes     ) 42776
locked memory (-l kbytes     ) 14258
process       (-p processes  ) 160
nofiles       (-n descriptors) 128
vmemory       (-v kbytes     ) unlimited
sbsize        (-b bytes      ) unlimited

"Locked memory" sounds like what we run into - but shouldn't mlockall() return
some error code if we exceed the limit?

Btw: I can not do a "anita install" for sparc when running on -current amd64,
the install stalls somewhere arbitrarily. It seems to work fine on netbsd-5
(see test results on babylon5). No idea what broke this.

Martin