Re: quotacheck on 6.0_BETA

On Sun, May 20, 2012 at 12:42:58PM +0200, Edgar Fu? wrote:
 > > You're trying to use both old and new quotas at once.
 > I see.
 >
 > > The "userquota" and "groupquota" mount options are used to enable the
 > > old quotas.
 >
 > I was not even aware that the old quotas are still around.
 > Yes, I could have concluded that from quotachek still being around.
 > Does libquota handle the old quotas?

Yup. It was a pain in the ass :-)

 > > The new quotas are always enabled if they exist on the disk volume at
 > > mount time. (This is controlled with newfs/tunefs.)
 >
 > So I guess there's no way of temporarily disabling (the enforcement
 > of) quotas with the new system?

Right. It was in an early version of the libquota design but got
removed by popular demand.

(Remember that you can't really do this usefully with the old quotas
anyway; if you disable quotas with quotaoff while stuff is using the
fs, you need to run quotacheck before enabling them again, and you
pretty much need to drop to single-user mode to do that safely.)

If you can convince Manuel to add code to suspend enforcement to the
new ffs quotas, adding the necessary control bits to libquota is easy.

 > > That said, quotacheck should behave more intelligently in this
 > > situation.
 >
 > Probably yes. I haven't tried quotaon.
 >
 > > If you have suggestions for places to improve the docs, I'm all ears.
 >
 > It would have helped me if there was some guide describing the
 > differences between the old and new system.

Yeah, that seems like a good plan. The info is there (AFAIK) but it
isn't centralized and it isn't all in obvious places.

 > Some points I learned or am still unsure of:
 > -- the new quotas are created with newfs ore tunefs, not at the first
 > quotacheck
 > -- new quotas don't do quotacheck, fsck does the equivalent
 > -- new quotas don't need the userquota/groupquota mount options
 > -- there's no need for quotaon as well (?)

right

 > -- you need libquota to access the new quotas (does it handle the old ones
 > as well?)

yes, libquota does everything now.

 > -- grace times are per-user and not taken from the #0 entry

right

 > (what do I do if I want a global per-fs default?)

there's a default entry that isn't the #0 entry.

 > -- defaults are handled differently (I haven't yet undestood how
 > since I'm not using them anyway).

right.

 > > I suppose I should go rewrite the SMM.doc; I'd forgotten it existed.
 >
 > Which one? The one in fsck_ffs?

It's src/share/doc/smm/04.quotas. The one in fsck is the one about
fsck...

--
David A. Holland
dholland%netbsd.org@localhost