> There is a choice to be made about returing ENOATTR or ENODATA [...]

> In order to get the broader compatibility, I suggest patching our
> errno.h to define ENOATTR as ENODATA.  Opinions?

As a code author, I don't like this.

A similar situation already exists with EAGAIN and EWOULDBLOCK: some
systems define only one, some only the other, some both with different
values, and some both with the same value (often one in terms of the

The last of these is rather annoying, because it means that a simple

#ifdef EAGAIN
        case EAGAIN:
        case EWOULDBLOCK:

produces a compile-time error.  So, my opinion would be to prefer one
of the other alternatives.

\ / Ribbon Campaign
 X  Against HTML