Re: [GSoC idea] ASAN support in kernel and userland

On 21/03/2012 9:31, Joerg Sonnenberger wrote:
I wonder if the following idea matches the scope of the a GSoC project. For LLVM there exists a (platform specific) feature called ASAN, which
provides a good chunk of the functionality of valgrind. As it is
integrated into the compiler, it is quite fast. Since NetBSD is missing
valgrind support and porting that is quite a lot work, ASAN provide
quite an improvement. I think porting it to userland can be done in a
month at most for a student, including dealing e.g. with libc overrides for
assembler routines on x86. I also believe a basic working kernel
implementation in the rest of the time is feasible. That would fit
nicely between RUMP and normal kernel debugging as well. Thoughts?

I, for one, think this is a fantastic idea!
I use valgrind extensively on Linux during the development of dhcpcd and it turns up some surprising issues that you don't see easily, nor experience when it is running. I have often wondered if there are any problems with the BSD specific code, but have no means of finding out. This project would allow
this!

Thanks

Roy