Re: Problem with install of NetBSD-6 from cd on i386 siside

On Wed, Mar 07, 2012 at 03:14:52PM -0000, David Lord wrote:

> Hi
>
> I've tried without success to install NetBSD-6 from CD from a
> downloaded iso image onto an i386 system.
>
> The error is:
> cd0(siside0:1:0): Check Condition on CDB: 0x28 00 00 00 a6 0d 00
>                                           00 04 00
>     SENSE KEY: Media Error
>    INFO FIELD: 42509
>      ASC/ASCQ: No Seek Complete
>
> I had same problem with 6.99
>
> I have since obtained netbsd-6 src via cvs on a different system,
> built a release, copied sets over network and updated target pc
> to NetBSD-6. I am able to mount the cdrom and "tar -tzvf comp.tgz"
> initially gave same error as above but then completed ok. Seems
> the drive isn't being allowed to spin up.

I don't think that's the problem. A media error is really what it
says: the drive coudln't read some data on the drive.
If you've been able to mount it, then at last you can read some
data out of it. So it's just some parts of the media which are bad.