Re: Respawn crashed PUFFS filesystems?

Mouse <mouse%Rodents-Montreal.ORG@localhost> wrote:

> > Of course the feature would be broken in some cases, but we could
> > make the thing optional using a vfs.puffs.respawn sysctl, which would
> > contain a colon-separated mount points subjected to respawn.
>
> What happens if a mount point contains a colon?

Then you have serious trouble with PATH, LD_LIBRARY_PATH and friends :-)

> More to the point, I think this puts the information in the wrong
> place.  Is there any way it could be set as an option at mount time?
> (That's a serious question; I don't know puffs enough to answer it.)

The problem is that mount(8) passes the options verbatim  to
/sbin/mount_xxx, which is supposed to start the xxx filesystem. The
filesystem will parse the options on its own before passing appropriate
flags to mount(2). We have no way to make sure a third party software
will not choke on an unexpected option, and no way to make it pass the
option to mount(2).

We could take for granted that there are no third party PUFFS
filesystel, but that is not true for FUSE filesystems.

--
Emmanuel Dreyfus
http://hcpnet.free.fr/pubz