Re: extattr namespaces

> One thing that I'm wondering: what are the character constraints on
> those class names in the Linux API?

> The reason is that if UTF8 is allowed, it'd be possible for two names
> to show as an equivalent representation to humans, while they'd be
> different for the system, [...]

Only if userland insists on rendering the octet sequences as UTF-8
characters.  That would be stupid of it (in security-important
contexts, at least) for this reason if no others.

I think the kernel should be as encoding-agnostic as feasible, just as
it is now for pathname components, file contents, data flowing through
pipes and sockets - pretty much all places where octet strings of any
sort cross the user/kernel boundary.

\ / Ribbon Campaign