Re: Can someone please explain the rules for __NetBSD_Version__ ??

On 01/09 19:08, Robert Elz wrote:
> Could someone who knows please explain the rules for the construction
> of __NetBSD_Version__ for releases, what the sub-fields are, and how
> they're actually used - and then perhaps actually put that information
> into param.h  ?

Well, I've made all of the 5.x __NetBSD_Version changes to date, so I
guess I ought to speak up.  Basically, I looked at 4.0.1 and saw that we
didn't bump the version number for 4.0.1, and figured that was
intentional.  Maybe it was simply an omission.  I don't recall checking
3.x.  My thinking was that we didn't care much if the version number got
bumped unless there was an API/ABI change.  Given that line of
reasoning, I don't know why I bumped it for 5.1 -- temporary insanity?

In any case, if the consensus is that it should be bumped with every
release, we can certainly do that in the future.

Soren