Re: 32-bit partition offset/size in disklabel

On Wed, 30 Nov 2011 11:56:26 +0100
Martin Husemann <martin%duskware.de@localhost> wrote:

> On Wed, Nov 30, 2011 at 11:49:46AM +0100, Frank Wille wrote:
> > Hmm... that means I would have to make a small boot/root partition,
> > which uses dkctl(8) to make the rest of the disk available?
>
> Depends on what your firmware can boot. All new x86 machines can boot
> from GPT.

I'm thinking about my PowerMacs and Amigas. ;)

> > And what about other partition formats, like Apple Partition Maps,
> > Amiga RDB, SGI, Sparc...? Is it planned to add support for them?
>
> You mean as on-disk representations for the wedge autocnfiguration
> code?

There is an on-disk representation of the wedge?

I just had a look into sys/dev/dkwedge and was under the impression that a
dk(4) device is constructed on the fly from the information read from GPT
(or MBR) partitions.

> I'm not sure that makes sense for all of those formats, but
> where it does, it should be done.

I agree. It doesn't seem so difficult to add new formats.

--
Frank Wille