Re: language bindings (fs-independent quotas)

At Fri, 18 Nov 2011 16:27:53 +0200, Alan Barrett <apb%cequrux.com@localhost>
wrote:
Subject: Re: language bindings (fs-independent quotas)

> On Fri, 18 Nov 2011, Manuel Bouyer wrote:
> >> Assuming that there's no need to handle fields with embedded
> >> spaces, perl's split() function will DTRT.
> >
> > No, it does not because there are fields that can be empty.
>
> The common way of dealing with that is to have a placehloder like "-"
> for empty fields.

I dunno (and don't want to know :-)) about perl, but it's easy enough to
insert proper field separators into fixed-width columnar input with Awk
and then go about using split() or whatever uses FS normally.

--
                                                Greg A. Woods
                                                Planix, Inc.

<woods%planix.com@localhost>       +1 250 762-7675        http://www.planix.com/