plist autoconf data (was Re: Module auto-unloading ...)

On Tue, Oct 18, 2011 at 12:50:58PM -0400, Jachym Holecek wrote:
> # David Young 2011-10-18:
> > On Tue, Oct 18, 2011 at 11:28:22AM -0400, Jared McNeill wrote:
> > > I played around with driver module autoloading a while back, and it
> > > worked pretty well but the implementation I came up with required
> > > duplicating match data in <module>.plist.
> >
> > This sounds like a step in the right direction (recording match data
> > in a plist, not duplicating it). What would it take to get rid of the
> > non-plist match data?
> Funny enough that's exactly what my GSoC project did some years ago.
> There was a lot of manual work to abstract all accesses to match data
> behind an API, major rework of autoconf(4) (not sure how much of that
> was actually necessary), simple change to config(1) to emit match data
> as plist array -- that sort of thing. No big science, just a lot of
> typing... The match data array for builtin drivers is going to be
> fairly huge in XML encoding, it was much better with bplist.

I have in mind a couple of projects that demand a rich set of locators
like plists can provide.  If you are interested in pooling resources
to sponsor the completion of this work with me, please contact me

David Young    Urbana, IL    (217) 721-9981