Re: fsync, rdiff-backup, wapbl, and WD Elements 1T drive

On Mon, 31 Oct 2011 19:58:27 -0400
Greg Troxel <gdt%ir.bbn.com@localhost> wrote:

> Obligatory actual netbsd tech-kern content: It seems like we really need
> a sync_synchronous(2) system call that guarantees that all file system
> operations that have completed (syscall returned) before the issuance of
> the sync_synchronous call are on disk before sync_synchronous returns.
> It seems odd that for sync, there is no waiting, fsync seems to wait,
> and fsync_range can flush or not flush caches, more or less.

Hmm since in sync(2), the non-synchronous issue is noted as a bug:

BUGS
     sync() may return before the buffers are completely flushed.

Does this mean that sync(2) should normally be synchronous and fixed to
be, such that sync_synchronous(2) not be necessary?
--
Matt