Re: fsync, rdiff-backup, wapbl, and WD Elements 1T drive

Matthew Mondor wrote:
Greg Troxel <gdt%ir.bbn.com@localhost> wrote:
So, I'm inclined to patch rdiff-backup not to fsync, since it seems excessive, and the backup is toast if the machine crashes before it is finished -- in that case rdiff-backup just rolls back. Opinions?

I also wonder why fsync would be used for every file, especially if you consider a whole run a single "transaction", even more so if using snapshots (although you don't mention using them).

If rdiff-backup was easily able to roll back after a crash, then I'd probably agree with the above. But it's expensive to roll back (you have to compare the actual data in the files, without assuming that {same size, same mtime} implies same data).

The current state of ffs+wabl is that, if the system crashes and the log is replayed, then files that had been written shortly before the crash end up with whatever old data happened to be in the underlying disk blocks, but new metadata indicating that the size and timestamps are all up to date. I think that this violates traditional unix file system semantics, but the people who worked on wapbl don't seem to think it's a problem.

Anyway, the new metadata with old data tends to make rsync (and probably rdiff-backup) think that the file is up to date, and so not copy it again next time (unless you perform an expensive comparison of all the data, nit just the metadata).

I have patched rsync to issue fdatasync(2) calls frequently, to mitigate this problem in my own usage. It does slow it down, but nowhere near as dramatically as you report. (I use NetBSD-current.)

--apb (Alan Barrett)