Re: RFC: SEEK_DATA/SEEK_HOLE implementation version 2

On Mon, Oct 03, 2011 at 12:04:36PM +0200, Reinoud Zandijk wrote:
 > > So, if I am reverse engineering the code correctly, the design is
 > > like this:
 > >
 > >   There are no new VOP calls.
 > correct

As I've said already a couple times, this should be done by new VOP
calls at the filesystem level. If the ioctl needs to exist, it should
be received at the VFS level.

My preference would be to add the lseek behavior strictly in
userland... assuming we really need to implement that API and can't
provide a sane user API instead.

You said the other day in chat that FreeBSD had implemented this; can
you post an explanation of their ioctl API?

--
David A. Holland
dholland%netbsd.org@localhost