Re: MAXNAMLEN vs NAME_MAX

> Certainly the original 14 byte limit was occasionally a nuisance (but
> even that was better than 8+3 which was typical), but longer than
> 255?

I've run into the 255 limit.  On only a few occasions, but definitely
more than zero.  (About three times, I think.)

In my case it is usually files named after URLs; I will typically put
(for example) http://www3.telus.net/~bhilpert/tmp/touchTone1969.gif in
a file called www3.telus.net%~bhilpert%tmp%touchTone1969.gif.  I
regularly see (though seldom want to fetch) URLs long enough to blow
out a 255-character limit under this transformation.

I'm sure other people have their own uses for long pathname components,
too, though I don't know of any offhand.

\ / Ribbon Campaign