[Date Prev][Date Next][Thread Prev][Thread Next][Date Index][Thread Index][Old Index]
Re: Changing the gpio(4) API/ABI
On 09/23/11 12:38, Marc Balmer wrote:
With gpio(4) we still carry an old API with us, which I want to remove. While
working on it, I will also introduce a third locator to device drivers that
attach to gpio pins, flags. It will be needed for e.g. gpioiic(4) to invert
the SDA/SCL pin numbers.
WIll documenting the changes be enough?
I want to make it clear that this will change the binary ABI and break
*** Please note that gpio(4) is not enabled in GENERIC kernels by
default, so users of GENERIC or MONOLITHIC kernels are not affected by
this change. ***
- the old and deprecated API, which is not documented and not used by
our own tools, will be removed
- one current ioctl, GPIOATTACH, will be changed, as a third locator
will be introduced for flags (this is needed e.g. to reverse the pin
ordering of SDA and SCL pins in gpioiic(4))
- maybe I will just rearrange all ioctls.
The consequences are:
- if you use an older gpioctl(8) it will not work with gpio(4) anymore.
You need to rebuild gpioctl(8)
- if you have your own software that talks to gpio(4) (and that excludes
drivers), you will have to recompile them.
Main Index |
Thread Index |