Re: Addition to kauth(9) framework

On Mon, Aug 29, 2011 at 07:54:38PM +1000, matthew green wrote:
 > > do you mean that we need to unshare the credential unconditionally,
 > > regardless his module is used or not?  why?
 >
 > maybe it's just me, but i actually have absolutely no problem
 > with chroot unsharing kauth_cred_t by default.  it just seems
 > to have more generic safety aspects.

So hold on. kauth_cred_t (ignoring some silly typedef issues) is the
process credentials structure, with the uids and gids in it. Right?

In the normal world, each process should have its own, so all sharing
is purely an optimization and should be copy-on-write. Therefore,
anything that changes the contents of the structure should first
establish a private copy of it. Because the type is private to
kern_auth.c, this is fairly easy to establish and audit.

So far so good.

Now, the question is: in the Elad world, are there cases where this
thing is supposed to be shared for modification? If so, what are they,
what's the intent and the intended semantics, and is there an
implementation that makes it all behave reasonably without being a
code nightmare? Like with sharing pages in VM, handling objects that
are both shared-update and copy-on-write at once is not entirely
trivial.

--
David A. Holland
dholland%netbsd.org@localhost