Re: autoclean mode for tmpfs

Am 07.08.11 18:59, schrieb Emmanuel Dreyfus:
> Marc Balmer <mbalmer%NetBSD.org@localhost> wrote:
>
>> But that is uber-stupid ;) Something tries to access a file, which is
>> perfectly there, and instead of returning the data, we toss the data
>> away and return ENOENT... ???
>
> If I understood correctly the idea, you do this if your temporary file
> has expired its TTL. The idea is to have temporary file that vanish on
> their own, right?

If at all, I think it only makes sense if a file vanishes on its own,
thus freeing space.  If nothing ever accesses it, it will forever use up
space.

But then, I don't think that filesystems should become "to intelligent"
and tinker with their content on themselves (with maybe the exception of
some filesystems that are designed for this, devfs, ptyfs etc.  /tmp is
none of these and should best be left alone, imo)