Re: Adding linux_link(2) system call, second round

On Tue, Aug 02, 2011 at 08:52:56AM +0000, Emmanuel Dreyfus wrote:
 > > Sure. But what does it actually do, such that if you have a symlink it
 > > doesn't work to copy the symlink instead of hardlink it?
 >
 > That would probably work for symlinks, since they cannot be updated.
 > But this would requires heavy changes in the way the code is written.
 > Basically a rename on a symlink would become a readlink/symlink/unlink.

As opposed to link/unlink? I still don't see why this would be more
than a half-dozen lines of code, if that. By your previous
descriptions it already needs to stat the object to check if it's a
directory.

--
David A. Holland
dholland%netbsd.org@localhost