Re: pchb@acpi

On Mon, Aug 01, 2011 at 11:30:31AM +0200, Matthias Drochner wrote:

> bouyer%antioche.eu.org@localhost said:
> > device_properties() uses property lists, so I think poplists is right
> > for your usage too. It looks like it's a property of a bus node and I
> > can't see why it should be different from a device node. It should
> > probably be in the device property of the bus node's device_t.
>
> I can't follow this logics. Since almost everything in a device's
> softc is a property of the device, we could stop using C structures
> completely then...

the softc is private to the device (it eventually copies informations
passed from the parent, and the attach informations could be properties
as well). up to now, device_properties() has been used to pass informations
which doesn't comes directly from the parent (as opposed to the attach
structure), and possibly from different place, and may possibly not be
there. If I understood it properly, we still want to have pchb to attach
at pci, but using informations from BIOS or ACPI if available.
It looks like this fits device_properties(), much more than and extention
of the pci attach args.