Re: Adding linux_link(2) system call (Was: Re: link(2) on a symlink to a directory fails)

>> FWIW, I just asked some linux guys about the linux behavior and the
>> answer was "we sell rope".
> That would be my answer too, though I'd probably phrase it as not
> preventing you from doing stupid things because it would also prevent
> you from doing clever things.

(I know, replying to myself is bad form.)

Perhaps most important, to me, is that "I can't think of a use for it"
is a really bad reason to actively forbid an otherwise meaningful
operation.

Except as I noted, I can't think of a use for it either - but I am not
confident it has no use, and I *definitely* am not sure enough nobody
will ever find a use to think it's a good idea to actively forbid it.

\ / Ribbon Campaign