Re: kernel v. userland #includes for standard types

On Sat, Jun 04, 2011 at 07:03:34PM -0700, John Nemeth wrote:
 > }  >      The files in src/sys/sys get installed into /usr/include/sys .
 > }
 > } Yes, I'm aware of that. Your point being?
 >
 >      Then what purpose would src/sys/include serve?

To hold header files? I think the point you're missing is that the
name of at least certain header files matters; there are unnecessary
_KERNEL ifdefs in various places because header files with the same
purpose, like <stdint.h>, have to be fetched by different names in and
out of the kernel. The current include paths and directory structure
in the kernel doesn't allow having anything kernel-level called
<stdint.h>.

Also, in the long run, it's better to have a strict separation between
installed and uninstalled kernel headers, and the best way to do that
(speaking from the perspective of having set it up several times and
gotten it wrong the first couple) is to install a subdir of
src/sys/include.

--
David A. Holland
dholland%netbsd.org@localhost