Re: sys/dev/isa/fd.c FDUNIT/FDTYPE

On Sep 25,  4:47pm, Martin Husemann wrote:
} On Fri, May 06, 2011 at 04:53:41AM +0900, Izumi Tsutsui wrote:
} > If we "fix" kernels to use DISKUNIT() and DISKPART() macro
} > for FDUNIT() and FDTYPE(), we can bump a number of fd types
} > to MAXPARTITIONS with no further changes.
} > Nothing needs to be done by users in that case.
}
} Oh, now I see what you meant - didn't get it with the previous explanation -
} nice trick.
}
} Still, if postinstall can warn users, I don't see a big deal in fixing it

     I don't think postinstall needs to provide any warning.  The extra
floppy letters either incorrectly refer to a different drive, or won't
do anything.  Also, sysinst will automatically run MAKEDEV when
upgrading a system.  Anybody that manually updates should be running
MAKEDEV as part of the process.  Failure to do so means they will be
missing new device nodes.

} in other ways (though I can live with both, and the Edgar can do his changes
} with your solution too, as he seems to use amd64).

     Hacking up just one floppy driver is an extremely bad idea.  It
just makes maintenance harder.  And, I don't see any real benefit to
this hack.

}-- End of excerpt from Martin Husemann