Re: [patch] PCI memory & i/o enables

On Fri, Apr 08, 2011 at 08:47:59PM +0200, Matthias Drochner wrote:

> dyoung%pobox.com@localhost said:
> > If the flag isn't set, the driver has no business setting it.  Also,
> > if the flag isn't set, there's not much use in the driver setting the
> > corresponding bit in the PCI CSR.
>
> I don't think this goes into the right direction. The driver shouldn't
> have a business setting flags in the attach args, except in rare,
> mostly historical cases like indirect configuration.

The patch stops drivers from setting flags in the attach args, which I
think that you will agree is a step in the right direction.

> And the driver
> shouldn't enable address decoding in the PCI CSR because it has
> no way to check whether the BARs are set to reasonable values.
> Such things belong into the framework, the mapreg_map() or so functions.

I think that we agree about that, however, I think that we can fix the
brokenness one step at a time.

Dave

dyoung%ojctech.com@localhost      Urbana, IL * (217) 344-0444 x24