Re: extent-patch and overview of what is supposed to follow

On 04/01/11 17:20, Manuel Bouyer wrote:
> On Fri, Apr 01, 2011 at 10:43:50AM -0400, Allen Briggs wrote:
>> On Fri, Apr 01, 2011 at 08:35:52AM +0200, Lars Heidieker wrote:
>>> this is a part of the changes to the kernel memory management.
>>> It's a changing the subr_extent to use kmem(9) instead of malloc(9)
>>> essentially removing the MALLOC_TYPE from it.
>> Are there tools for figuring out where memory might be leaking?
>> The MALLOC_TYPE is not ideal for that but can be at least provide
>> some clue.
> Seconded. It has proven to be very helpfull at times

Yes, I can see the point here but with large parts of memory allocation
being moved to kmem any way the point doesn't seem to be very strong to me.
But tracing who is doing the allocation is definitely something worse
having, tracing this with dtrace should be possible as Andrew pointed
out end january, when I made the patch public.