Re: sysmon_pswitch_event(): provide a sleep routine when powerd(8) is not running

On Mon, Mar 28, 2011 at 02:54:55PM +0200, Martin Husemann wrote:
> On Mon, Mar 28, 2011 at 03:50:46PM +0300, Jukka Ruohonen wrote:
> > I would go for (3), perhaps with a "-s" flag to halt(8). This would also
> > solve
> > the user interface issue that remains unresolved in options (1) and (2).
> > Extending halt(8) has been discussed also previously (cf. e.g. [1]).
>
> Don't mix it with the user interface or "halt", it is completely unrelated.
>
> I would go for (2), since there already is "gracefull shutdown" code in there,
> but it needs MD extensions for this case.

As far as the primary user, normal x86, is concerned, the sysmon_pswitch(9)
code is just a wrapper. The use of it is furthermore awfully inconsistent.
IMHO, it is somewhat absurd to deliver events to user space powerd(8), which
then delivers the events back to the kernel using MD buttons (e.g. sysctl).

- Jukka.