Re: high sys time, very very slow builds on new 24-core system

On Thu, 24 Mar 2011, Andrew Doran wrote:

> I have a suspicion that SSD could cause issues for us because the buffer
> cache and other parts of the I/O system are not designed with near
> instantaneous request->response in mind, but that likely isn't at play
> here.. Do you have logging turned on for the SSD?

Do you have a pretty standard SSD or something that's write optimized?
While it's probably not the cause of your performace problem since you're
spinning in the kernel rather than idle waiting for an interrupt, SSDs are
usually optimized for reads.  While they have zero seek times, the write
cycles tend to be slow compared to spinning media.

Eduardo