Re: the bouyer-quota2 branch

On Thu Mar 10 2011 at 09:36:20 +0100, Manuel Bouyer wrote:

> > > Hmm, I'm wondering if the new quotactl syscall should have a new name
> > > instead of keeping the old one.
> > >
> > > It doesn't make much sense to play __RENAME() games with it since
> > > any old code will not compile against the new quotactl signature.
> >
> > that seems reasonable to me.
>
> What do you propose then ? quotactl is the best name I can find for this
> syscall ...

quotactl2?  quotapctl?  quota_pctl?  quotactl_the_next_generation?
... quota_king?

Considering that quotactl is not used by programmers (unless they're
hacking on the quota utils ;) I don't think we need to spend a lot
of energy on picking the name.  If we want to follow a common naming
scheme for all syscalls which will take a plist (such as future mount?),
we might want to spend a few minutes on it, though.

(Just to explain the rationale for this nomenclatural crisis, yesterday
I discovered that the changed signature broke some assumptions about
syscall compat I'd made in makesyscalls.sh, and that caused the script
to fail in a very-scratchingly way.  I could just change makesyscalls.sh,
but since I'd had made that assumption, it's possible others have too)

--
älä karot toivorikkauttas, kyl rätei ja lumpui piisaa