Re: turning off COMPAT_386BSD_MBRPART in disklabel

On Thu, Feb 03, 2011 at 02:56:35AM +0000, David Holland wrote:

> ...also, it's not entirely clear to me what the code is supposed to be
> doing if there are multiple NetBSD partitions; it looks as if what it
> *will* do is use the label from the one it sees last and write the
> same label to all of them.

That is what I intended it to do.
Nothing else makes sense (well, it could use the first!).

The disklabel describes the partition layout of the disk (not the type
169 mbr partition), it has to be saved on the disk.
Saving it is ALL the partitions (and, IIRC, anywhere else it manages to find
a copy!) avoids confusion and allows the pbr boot code to find it.

Because the kernel is told about the label, if you try to have different
labels in different places on the disk then you are likely to lose badly.
Not helped by the fs code not remembering the base sector for mounted
partitions and looking at the current label for every transfer!

        David

--
David Laight: david%l8s.co.uk@localhost