Re: Dates in boot loaders on !x86

On Sun, Jan 16, 2011 at 09:37:40PM +0100, Bernd Ernesti wrote:
> On Sun, Jan 16, 2011 at 09:33:57PM +0100, Martin Husemann wrote:
> > On Sun, Jan 16, 2011 at 08:59:15PM +0100, Joerg Sonnenberger wrote:
> > > That's what the version number is supposed to tell you.
> >
> > Just thinking out loud: could we make the embedded date conditional
> > on some /etc/mk.conf variable, unset for standard builds?
>
> Yeah that would be nice because the version number gets only changed
> when a new feature was added but that does not tell you when something
> else in the source code was modified which was nothing major but could
> case problems.

And you don't change it for every little change when hacking at the code.

Actually, IMHO, the version number for release builds shouln't be in cvs.
Only builds done as a 'release build' should contain the actual
number (ideally those built from a checkout of the actual cvs tag)
that way development 'hacking' build are always identifyable from a
release.

I would put date/time in development builds and the version in
release builds.

I've not managed to persuade work of this either :-(

        David

--
David Laight: david%l8s.co.uk@localhost