Re: modules_enabled in kernel ELF note section

On Wed, Jan 12, 2011 at 01:59:42PM +1100, matthew green wrote:
> modular kernels don't *have* to have modules loaded via the boot
> loader.  so what i think you're really after is a flag that says
> "we want to try to load modules in the loader".

We could have a note section that makes it easy to find out for the
boot loader (a) wether the kernel is modular and (b) the list of
modules it has built in.

The loader could then drop any module requested in its configuration file
if it is already part of the kernel, or drop the whole list if the kernel
is non-modular.

The boot loader could also construct an automatic list if it is not configured
for any, which as only item includes the file system it found the kernel
on.

Martin