Re: mutexes, locks and so on...

> Already wrote about reasoning in other reply to mouse (keywords: no
> code duplication, better design), so wont repeat myself.

Except you appear to think that the only options are the current state
and each arch totally doing its own thing.

There are places other than those two to draw the dividing line.
Indeed, there are semi-MI implementations possible, such as the one I
sketched in a message I sent just minutes ago, allowing arches that can
to share code while not imposing an inappropriate paradigm on those
that don't fit the mold.

Somewhat like the way the various 68k ports share nontrivial amounts of
code through sys/arch/x68k (and similar things in userland) and
similarly for MIPS and SH3 and possibly others I haven't noticed.

\ / Ribbon Campaign