Re: XIP

uebayasi%tombi.co.jp@localhost wrote:

> I think the uebayasi-xip branch is ready to be merged.
>
> This branch implements a preliminary support of eXecute-In-Place;
> execute programs directly from memory-mappable devices without
> copying files into RAM.  This benefits mainly resource restricted
> embedded systems to save RAM consumption.
>
> My approach to achieve XIP is to implement a generic XIP vnode
> pager which is neutral to underlying filesystem formats.  The result
> is a minimal code impact + sharing the generic fault handler.

Probably it's better to post more verbose summary that describes:
- which MI kernel structures/APIs are modified or added
- which sources are mainly affected
- how many changes are/were required in MD pmap or each file system etc.
- which ports / devices are actually tested
- related man page in branch
- benchmark results
etc.

> I asked Chuck Silvers to review the branch.  I believe I've addressed
> most of his questions except a few ones.

It's also better to post all his questions and your answers
so that other guys can also see what's going on.

---
Izumi Tsutsui