Re: [ANN] Lunatik -- NetBSD kernel scripting with Lua (GSoC project results)

On Sun, Oct 10, 2010 at 10:45 PM, Samuel Greear <lua%evilcode.net@localhost>
wrote:
> (...)
> My brief notes (from memory):
>
> I didn't see any bindings, maybe there were some, but if I missed them
> there can't be very many, Lua in the kernel is fairly useless unless
> you can call into the public kernel api.

Our proposal on this summer was to deliver a port of Lua and
mechanisms for loading scripts into the kernel, not to provide
bindings to the entire kernel. However, you are totally welcome to
join this effort and write some bindings ;-).

> I didn't like the fact that the only option for loading a script into
> the kernel was to load the script source. I would make loading
> pre-compiled scripts the preferential method. In fact, I would
> probably tear eval out of the kernel lua implementation and only
> support loading of precompiled byte-code into the kernel.

I'm planning to provide a kind of luac [1] to Lunatik, but it is not
my main occupation now. I'm prioritizing the creation of a use case.
Anyway, I would like to know what is your motivation to use
pre-compiled scripts as the preferential method and why is it worrying
you.

> I hope you continue working on this, I see potential and at some point
> I would like to evaluate this for inclusion in DragonFly BSD.

It would be great =).

[1] http://www.lua.org/manual/5.1/luac.html

Cheers,
--