Re: RFC: device flavours

On Wed, Jul 28, 2010 at 11:00:58AM -0500, David Young wrote:
> On Wed, Jul 28, 2010 at 03:09:36PM +0000, Quentin Garnier wrote:
> > On Tue, Jul 27, 2010 at 09:23:04AM +0200, Martin Husemann wrote:
> > And after that, the
> > pcib driver will have to know that it might be on an ACPI system and
> > thus can fetch information there.  Think what you want, but to me it is
> > nonsense and that's exactly what I am trying to find a solution to here.
>
> The pcib(4) driver only needs to attach its isa(4). isa(4) need not know
> anything about ACPI, it just walks its MI device properties list to see
> what is directly configurable.

A small note: focusing on isa(4), legacy drivers, and their configuration
hides the real issue, which is that we need a 1:1 mapping between the normal
and the ACPI device tree.  This is not optional if we ever want to make any
advances for instance in PCI power management.  Another example: we have
pending device drivers on the ACPI side that need to know about vga(4).
What will be there for isa(4), should be there also for pci(4).

- Jukka.