Re: RFC: device flavours

On Wed, Jul 28, 2010 at 11:00:58AM -0500, David Young wrote:
> On Wed, Jul 28, 2010 at 03:09:36PM +0000, Quentin Garnier wrote:
> > On Tue, Jul 27, 2010 at 09:23:04AM +0200, Martin Husemann wrote:
[...]
> > > FWIW, what David outlines is pretty close to the way i2c direct config
> > > works in -current.
> >
> > Your point is?  In David's scheme, the ichlpc driver has to do the work
> > to attach the pcib driver and said work has to be replicated in every
> > other variant, and you still need a generic variant to attach the actual
> > pcib driver when none of the *pcib drivers match.
>
> Replicating the work of attaching a pcib(4) in the variant drivers is
> not so much work.

But then, status quo is even less, and not that different.  It's funny
how things go.  My intent was to provide a new tool, and to show an
example of a situation where said tool is less of a kludge, more module-
friendly and so on.  And now some people thinks I'm focused on that
particular issue.  But if I hadn't given any example, I'm sure people
who have stopped right away at what would have seem like a complete shot
in the dark.

> > And after that, the
> > pcib driver will have to know that it might be on an ACPI system and
> > thus can fetch information there.  Think what you want, but to me it is
> > nonsense and that's exactly what I am trying to find a solution to here.
>
> The pcib(4) driver only needs to attach its isa(4). isa(4) need not know
> anything about ACPI, it just walks its MI device properties list to see
> what is directly configurable.
>
> I don't understand why isa(4) was out of the picture in your flavors
> proposal.

It's a corner that I've cut;  I had the acpinodebus attachments so I
used them, for the sake of the example.  I could have taken that bit
from Jared's old patch (although I dislike using the same match
function for both direct and indirect configuration, but then it's not
like autoconf(9) leaves any room there), but, really, it wasn't the
point.  I've cut a lot of other corners in that patch.

--
Quentin Garnier - cube%cubidou.net@localhost - cube%NetBSD.org@localhost