Re: Balloon driver.

Hi Eric,

On 6 July 2010 22:43, Eric Haszlakiewicz <> wrote:
> On Tue, Jul 06, 2010 at 09:19:57AM +0530, Cherry G. Mathew wrote:
>> On 28 June 2009 19:56, Cherry G. Mathew
>> <> wrote:
>> > Hi,
>> >
>> > Quick note to say that I hacked up a little balloon driver from
>> > scratch for fun. It just about works on a XEN3 dom0 but that's it. I'm
>> > posting it here as an FYI as suggested by jym@
>> jym@ and I made a few more changes to this.
>> Have a look here:
>> Any feedback would be much appreciated. If things go well, I'm hoping
>> to commit this marked "EXPERIMENTAL" "soon".
> A little more verbose comment in the source to explain how this is actually
> used might be nice.  Is there a man page?
> I'm guessing this is to implement ballooning as described at:

That's correct, although this is obviously a Xen specific
implementation. I'll get around to writing a man page for this soon

This is still experimental, and I don't have any benchmark results.

Briefly, there are two methods to play with this now.

From dom0:

# xm mem-set $domid $newmemsz

or, from within the domU

# sysctl -w$newtargetinpages

kern.xen.balloon.current gives you the current total memory page
reservation of the domU.

Both are equivalent, however, using the sysctl does not reflect in the
dom0 when you use # xm list

I hope this helps.