Re: Preserving early console output (pre-Copyright stuff)

On Thu, 1 Jul 2010 06:00:41 -0700 (PDT)
Paul Goyette <paul%whooppee.com@localhost> wrote:

> That's what I thought I'd get for an answer!  :)
>
> There is a serial port, but I haven't figured out yet how to make it
> work in the BIOS.  And while I do have other machines with serial ports
> I've never used those ports and don't even have serial cables!  (The
> last time I used a serial cable was way back in the days of modems and
> dial-up 'net access!)

Sometimes I've been thinking about this as more and more hardware don't
ship with RS232 anymore.  Is there a relatively common BIOS interface
which would allow, even if non-efficiently, to use a USB port as a
serial device without too much code?  If so, possibly that a special
usb-serial bootblock could be using that sometime in the future?

If there is no BIOS common interface, I can see it's a problem because
of all the driver code that'd be needed at boot time...

Thanks,
--
Matt