Re: __read_mostly and __mp_friendly annotations

On Thu, 27 May 2010 18:03:19 +0100, Mindaugas Rasiukevicius
<rmind%netbsd.org@localhost> wrote:

> Grouping, which in essence means that objects gets its own cacheline(s).
> This is what user wants.  While aligning, together with grouping, is just
> a way to achieve that.

Yeah, but I want to know what the annotation does, not why that's
good. The comment in sys/sys/cdefs_elf.h explains what the annotations
are good for. As a user, I just want to know what __cacheline_aligned
does to my code. I find __cacheline_aligned quite descriptive.

> P.S. Does the very last object (both of __read_mostly and __cacheline
> areas) gets enough padded space?

Whoops! Good catch. Not all of the architectures in the patch pad the
last object. Thanks, I'll fix that up.