Re: xxxVERBOSE module?

On Sep 4,  9:00am, Paul Goyette wrote:
}
} From the comments in the GENERIC config files, the primary reason for
} omitting the various xxxVERBOSE options is to avoid including large text
} tables in the resulting kernel.  And I vaguely recall some spirited
} discussion back when the change was made to exclude these options by
} default.
}
} Now that we have MODULAR kernels (at least on some architectures), I've
} been wondering if it might make sense to create a mod_verbose that could

     There's been quite a bit of discussion about doing just this.

} be loaded during start-up time and then unloaded after the machine is up

     It would have to be loaded by the boot loader then.  As far as I
know, only the x86 boot loader is capable of loading modules.

} and running.  (For plug-and-play situations, such as USB, the module
} could be reloaded and unloaded whenever a new device is added.)
}
} Is this something that would be useful?

     Yes, I think it would be very useful.  I was thinking of looking
at this myself.  Thanks for taking on this task.  It's one thing I can
cross off my TODO list.  :-)

}-- End of excerpt from Paul Goyette