Re: xxxVERBOSE module?

On Wed, May 19, 2010 at 08:52:52PM -0700, Paul Goyette wrote:
> From the comments in the GENERIC config files, the primary reason
> for omitting the various xxxVERBOSE options is to avoid including
> large text tables in the resulting kernel.  And I vaguely recall
> some spirited discussion back when the change was made to exclude
> these options by default.
>
> Now that we have MODULAR kernels (at least on some architectures),
> I've been wondering if it might make sense to create a mod_verbose
> that could be loaded during start-up time and then unloaded after
> the machine is up and running.  (For plug-and-play situations, such
> as USB, the module could be reloaded and unloaded whenever a new
> device is added.)
>
> Is this something that would be useful?

Yes, it would be.  Just an idea: we may get a lot of mileage out of a
generic method for adding or augmenting, and removing kernel property
lists from a kernel, either at run- or compile-time.

Consider that much of the VERBOSE info is in tabular form, thus
expressible by property list.  So are PCI/USB/... vendor/product tables
that we use to match drivers with devices---I wish we could change
those tables without recompiling.  I anticipate using property lists
to express device locators.  So it seems to me that "linking" property
lists into the kernel could be very useful.

Dave