Re: Adding mouse sensitivity adjustment to wsmouse

On Thu, 20 May 2010, Sverre Froyen wrote:

> I probably should have been clearer. Take the x-coordinate
as an example. The
> mouse input is scaled by s_mx/WSCONS_MOUSE_RES. The s_mx
parameter can be set
> by the user. I need the WSCONS_MOUSE_RES constant for two
reasons, one to be
> able to specify scaling fractions and two in order to
correctly accumulate
> mouse input where the mouse delta-x times
s_mx/WSCONS_MOUSE_RES is not equal
> to an integer.
>
> I have not tested the patch with an absolute positioning
device (If I can get
> my hands on one I will). As far as scaling being useful,
if your device is too
> sensitive (like the 1000dpi resolution mouse that I
purchased), it seems like
> it could be useful. In any case, you can always leave the
scaling set as one-
> to-one.

I came across this issue recently writing the Magic Mouse
(1300dpi)
support. Although I implemented scaling directly in the
driver, I think
ideally it should be handled further upstream. In fact,
perhaps even
further upstream than the wsmouse.. does X have any way to
do mouse
scaling, how does GNOME manage it, for example?

I think that the mouse driver (or the user) should be able
to specify the
wsmouse resolution (USB/Bluetooth HID descriptor can contain
that
information at least), or else a 'reasonable default' should
apply (what
is standard generic mouse res, about 400dpi?).

The speed option that the end-user wants to see is 'slow ...
fast' with a
reasonable number of increments, and designing a generic
system should allow
for the fast-mouse with small-screen as well as the
slow-mouse with
large-screen scenarios (with the same speed setting imo).
So, the mouse
driver should provide the mouse resolution and the display
driver provide
the display pitch and both of these should be combined with
the speed
factor that the user selected to give an overall scaling for
that
mouse/display combo.

But, I haven't thought too much about it and that may be
unworkable..

I don't know about absolute positioning, but that does need
some kind of scaling also (if the device produces
-100..100x-100..100 and your display is 1024x768 then)

iain