Re: allocating memory during kernel startup

macallan%NetBSD.org@localhost said:
> the parts that need uvm are strictly optional - not needed at   all
> for basic kernel output. We only need to know if we can use them   or
> not.

So as Martin said: if called from consinit(), static memory should
be used. At autoconf time and later, *alloc is OK. If we can get away
with that simple scheme, we shouldn't complicate things needlessly.
(which means that it might make sense to carry a flag around if some
helper function can be called in both contexts)

best regards
Matthias

Forschungszentrum Juelich GmbH
52425 Juelich
Sitz der Gesellschaft: Juelich
Dr. Ulrich Krafft (stellv. Vorsitzender), Prof. Dr.-Ing. Harald Bolt,
Prof. Dr. Sebastian M. Schmidt