$ORIGIN (was: Re: make: ensure ${.MAKE} works)

On Thu, Apr 15, 2010 at 08:40:19AM +0000, David Holland wrote:
 >> Wish we had working $ORIGIN...
 >
 > We will fairly soon, I think... :-)

To wit: as far as I can tell, having been wading around in that code
recently, the only problem with what we have is that if the path sent
back by namei isn't absolute it needs a getcwd() stuck on the front of
it.

Is it reasonable to just do that? I don't think calling getcwd() from
exec is going to cause locking problems, but it might be more overhead
than we want to swallow.

--
David A. Holland
dholland%netbsd.org@localhost