Re: Writing to multiple descriptors with one system call

On Wed, Mar 17, 2010 at 05:55:22PM +0000, Sad Clouds wrote:
> On Wed, 17 Mar 2010 18:28:21 +0100
> Vlad Galu <dudu%dudu.ro@localhost> wrote:
>
> > On Wed, Mar 17, 2010 at 5:22 PM, Sad Clouds
> > <cryintothebluesky%googlemail.com@localhost> wrote:

> > > Why? Because it never happens? I think it happens quite often.
> > > Another example is a server that is sending live data, i.e. audio
> > > playback, video stream, etc. If you can't use multicasting over a
> > > WAN, then you have a situation where you are streaming the same
> > > data to large number of clients.
> >
> > That's almost never practical, since you never fall into the ideal
> > case when all clients consume the data at the exact same rate.
> >

> That's true, but it could still improve overall performance. You need

What, in a magical mystery world where *any* significant number of the
clients are actually perfectly synchronized?  In any event you'd sure
better hope you don't have TCP in the middle (not that you're likely to
ever get so lucky with UDP either).

This strikes me as a solution (and not really a good one) looking for a
problem (which likely doesn't actually exist).

Thor